Saturday, June 14, 2014

protect your honey hole

I made a huge mistake last year. A neighbor of mine, an old man, was always asking me where I fish on my break. Eventually, me thinking he was a fellow sportsman, I gave him the location of the lunchtime pond. This little pond, 1 1/2-2 acres in size has been a honey hole of mine for quite a while now. Well, it turns out my neighbor isn't the sportsman I thought he was.

 He had been bragging about how good the fishing is there, and said he and his buddy had been going often. This didn't send up any red flags at the time, I was happy for him. Until he told me earlier this week that his buddy kept 45 bluegill that morning. i knew they both would go, and that they kept fish, but 45? I tried to sit with him and explain that a pond that size cannot sustain him and his buddy fishing like that, and asked that they throw some back every now and then, to which he replied "I don't put nothing back"...

 I made a huge mistake in trying to be all neighborly and now the pond is being punished for it. I don't think its possible for them to fish it out completely, but it may not be worth a damn for very long at this rate. I have noticed a decline in my bluegill catch rate this past week, except for friday which was much better, but I had to work for it. Luckily they don't seem to want to walk very far from the truck.

Trashing the pond bothers me as much as the excess keeping. Part of me wants to say I'm not cleaning their mess, but I sure as hell don't want to walk by it either. I'll break down and clean it, hopefully not repeatedly. He's really coming across as an asshole.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Free speech is encouraged here. Speak up!